Her collection of personal essays, Eating With My Mouth Open, won the 2019 KYD Unpublished Manuscript Award, and is being published in February 2021 by Newsouth Publishing.
Sam’s writing has appeared in the Saturday Paper, Meanjin, The Big Issue, The Lifted Brow, Cordite, The Sydney Review of Books, The Wheeler Centre and others.
Past achievements include:
- 2019 KYD Unpublished Manuscript Award winner
- 2019 Varuna/Copyright Agency Fellowship
- 2017 Lord Mayor’s Creative Writing Awards – shortlisted
- 2016 Lifted Brow & non/fictionLab Experimental Non-fictionPrize – shortlisted
- 2016 RMIT Urban Writing House writer-in-residence
- 2015 Scribe Nonfiction Prize for Young Writers – shortlisted
- 2015 Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowship
- 2015 City of Literature Travel Fund recipient
Sam has appeared at the Melbourne Writers Festival, NonfictioNOW, National Young Writers Festival, the Digital Writers’ Festival, Noted, the Emerging Writers’ Festival, RMIT’s Present Tense talks, and The Wheeler Centre. She completed her Honours year at RMIT in 2014, writing about food and memory.
She can also be emailed at email@example.com